McCormick, Barstow, Sheppard, Wayte and Carruth LLP is a full-service law firm committed to providing the highest quality legal representation to its clients. This commitment has made it one of the largest and most successful law firms in Central California, Colorado, Nevada and Washington. McCormick Barstow combines the individual talents of attorneys with diverse backgrounds and areas of emphasis into a civil law firm with the ability to handle a wide range of legal issues, with a special emphasis on the defense of insurance companies, public entities and self-insured entities against suspected or fraudulent claims and litigation.
Drawing upon expertise and skills of attorneys from among its various practice groups, McCormick Barstow has developed the Fraud and SIU Defense Team devoted to the investigation, analysis and litigation of suspicious claims. The members of this team have the specialized expertise and ability to provide coverage analysis of a suspicious claim and possess the trial experience needed to defend and litigate all aspects of first and third-party fraudulent claims in arbitrations and trials. Its members have handled such specialized matters as arson and suspicious property and vehicle loss claims, fraudulent personal injury accident claims and inflated and unreasonable medical payments claims.
Members of the team have conducted literally thousands of depositions and examinations under oath, have conducted bench and jury trials and are familiar with all methods of evaluating, litigating and resolving suspected fraudulent claims, as well as the necessity of complying with governmental regulatory requirements.
The members of this team have also been retained and have testified in trials as expert witnesses to refute bad faith allegations concerning denial of fraudulent first party claims.
Members of this team have successfully handled matters on behalf of insurers seeking recovery against clinics and healthcare providers for violations of medical and corporate practice of medicine laws, unfair business practices and billing violations. Services provided by McCormick Barstow’s Insurance Fraud and SIU Defense Team include:
- Arbitrations and mediations
- Claims handling and administration
- Declaratory Relief Actions
- Defense of extra-contractual claims
- Defense of suspected fraudulent bodily injury claims and staged accidents
- Evaluation, investigation and defense of fraudulent property claims (including arson and theft)
- Examinations under oath
- First- and third-party coverage analysis
- First- and third-party jury and bench trials
- Insurance regulation and compliance
- Inter-company insurance disputes
- Interpleader and restitution litigation
- Jury and bench trials
- Medical payments coverage claims and analysis (including up-coding, over billings, unnecessary procedures and other fraudulent practices).
- RICO litigation
- Service as expert witnesses and consultants
- UM/UIM Litigation and Arbitrations Insurer restitution for Corporate Practice of Medicine violations and billing fraud (medical and chiropractic)